Friday, November 1, 2013

567#Ai no Kotoba ~ [Book Review] If You Could See Me Now

[edited: Dec 27, 2015]

If You Could See Me Now was my first Cecelia Ahern's books. I love her the very instant I read this . She has convinced me to buy more of her books ;)



" You don't need me anymore, Elizabeth. You're going to stop seeing me now, Someone else will need me... I loved you the moment I saw you and I will always love you, Elizabeth..."



Rating: 4.6/5

Elizabeth Egan's life runs on order: Both her home and her emotions are arranged just so, with little room for spontaneity. It's how she counteracts the chaos of her family--an alcoholic mother who left when she was young, an emotionally distant father, and a free-spirited sister, who seems to be following in their mother's footsteps, leaving her own six-yearold son, Luke, in Elizabeth's care. When Ivan, Luke's mysterious new grown-up friend, enters the picture, Elizabeth doesnt know quite what to make of him. With his penchant for adventure and colorful take on things large and small, Ivan opens Elizabeth's eyes to a whole new way of living. But is it for real? Is Ivan for real? If You Could See Me Now is a love story with heart--and just a touch of magic.


This book is mostly about friendship and family bond, also with a touch of romance. Elizabeth Egan's life is so unfortunate. Her mother goes missing for years. Her father who is still couldn't accept her mother's absence even though time has been ticking for so long is always waiting for her return. Her wild younger sister named Saoirse and her son.

Elizabeth is a successful woman in her field of career. But, unfortunately something has happened years ago prior to present timeline which she could not ignore it. She abandoned her opportunities and returned home. In present time, she has to take care of Luke due to Saoirse's habit of going missing. I could understand why Elizabeth being so strict in her life. Her life is quite challenging. In her hometown, she meets Ivan, Luke's adult friend. 

The romance starts but... Ivan is not and ordinary guy.

When I read this book, I could feel the tension in Elizabeth's everyday life. She has to take care of everything! From the six-year-old Luke who needs maternal attention, her younger sister's frequent problems which Saoirse's faults actually to her father's sort-of hatred towards her.

I like Ivan! He is so cool and knows how to make Elizabeth happy despite her stern nature. Even though I (have to) understand Ivan's job of making people, especially kids like Luke happy, I could not totally accept the ending. The ending is quite good, but I need happier ending *sigh*

Cecelia Ahern's writings are understandable to me since this is my first English book after years of reading none. I'd love to suggest this book if you want to read something with a bit of fantasy in it. I'm gonna make her books as my priorities in the future!

Till then.
Wassalam.

4 comments:

  1. Tak baca lagi yg ni. Tapi watak Luke, dlm The Time Of My Life pun ada. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for suggestion! memang nak cari novel english :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. soalan cepumas untuk hana.. novel Cecelia Ahern mana yg tak best? hehe.. dalam byk2 paling suka One Hundred Names.. (tak habis2 dengan One Hundred Names dia ni.. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @aisya tak baca sume lagi novel Ahern.. hehe.. taktau lagi mana paling tak best :p cuma sekarang baru habis baca Girl in the Mirror and The Memory Maker (her short stories), yg ni tak best sangat sbb ending cam rushing, maybe sbb short stories kot

    ReplyDelete

Finished reading my entry? Why not you drop a comment or two? ;)

Broaden News